Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Milk....It Does a Body Good!

So we officially began the transition from formula to whole milk today earlier this week and.....so far, so good!!  I have done a lot of research and discussed with many of my mom friends on what the best approach is to not only switching to milk, but also weaning from the bottle.  There were varied responses and methods of course, but I figured I'd just try to switch both at the same time instead of dragging out the use of bottles. 

Since we've been practicing with a sippy for awhile now, I knew she wouldn't have a hard time with that part of it, but she is like clockwork with her bottle feedings so I was worried she would still expect the bottle or not be full after drinking whole milk versus the formula.  I thought maybe a sippy cup with a straw, which we had never tried before, would most closely mimic the bottle.  I bought one on Sunday and thought maybe we'd use that for milk and the other regular sippy for water.  It took her a few days to get the hang of the straw, but once she had the hang of it, we were golden!  Wednesday morning was the day....we came downstairs after getting dressed and ready for the day and I sat on the couch with her in my lap and the sippy of milk....she just looked at me and sucked it down, no problem!  I thought, it can't be this easy!  Sure enough the next morning she had a little setback and didn't want to drink from the straw, but after a few minutes, I think she realized that was the only way she was going to get milk and she took it no problem. 

Tomorrow we will start giving a sippy of milk after her morning nap too....and the goal is to be completely done with bottles by her 1st birthday, which is quickly approaching in a week and a half!  As sad as it makes me to be done with bottles because that means my baby is growing up, I will be ecstatic to not have to clean them any more....

No comments:

Background